Due to medical student rotations, the Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine Shadowing program will be temporarily suspended until November 1, 2022.
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine, part of the College of Medicine (COM), is located at the University of Florida (UF) in Gainesville. We are proud to be the region’s most established doctors in providing muscle, bones and joint care and we are honored to serve as the official healthcare team of the National Champion Florida Gator Athletes.
Our educational priority is first to medical trainees within UF. This includes all UF College of Medicine students, residents, fellows, physician assistants and those in other health-care units within the College of Medicine.
Medical students attending other colleges of medicine should be referred to: Visiting Student Elective via the UF COM Office of Student Affairs and Registration.
Shadowing is a voluntary experience with an Attending Physician, Physician’s Assistant or Physical Therapist in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine. Those approved are permitted to shadow one day in clinic and/or one day in the operating room within a calendar year. Dress is business casual, and the shadower is not permitted to wear scrubs or a lab coat. Note: We do not offer any academic credit or medical certification for shadowing in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine. Shadowing does not constitute medical education, graduate medical education, continuing medical education, or training leading to licensure or board certification. The shadower is not a student, resident, medical staff member, or employee of UF COM and must not represent him/herself as such. Shadowers are not allowed to provide patient care, even under direct supervision.
Typical activities for shadowing include:
- Observing patient-physician interactions at the UF Health Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Institute (OSMI)
- Observing surgical cases at UF Health Shands Hospitals, the UF Health Florida Surgical Center (FSC) and UF Health Children’s Surgical Center (CSC)
- Discussion of patient interactions with faculty and other members of the medical team including residents, fellows, physician assistants, nurses, and medical students
To begin the process, please submit the forms below:
- Shadowing Request Form
- HIPAA Training Module (PRV800)
- Security and Confidentiality Agreement (must provide your signature)
- Patient Care Observation Form (only complete the sections highlighted in yellow)
- OR Observation Form
- Record of COVID Vaccination
- International students and foreign medical graduates must also provide a copy of their visa and I-94 form with an intact Customs stamp showing ability to enter the U.S.
*All applications are subject to approval. Allow 14 days for application processing and approval once the application packet is received in full. The existence of these documents creates no obligation for our department to provide a shadowing experience.
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact us.