Telemedicine* is the use of electronic communications to provide or get health care services. You can get health care using phones, computers, or mobile devices. You find health information or talk with your health care provider using streaming media, video chats, email, or text messages. Your provider can use telemedicine to remotely monitor your health with devices that can remotely record vital signs, medicine intake, and other health information. Your provider can also communicate with other providers using telemedicine.
* Telemedicine is also called telehealth
Expected Benefits of TeleMedicine
- Improved access to healthcare professionals and convenience.
- More efficient medical evaluation and management.
- Obtaining expertise of a distant specialist.
Possible Risks of TeleMedicine
As with any medical procedure, there are potential risks associated with the use of telemedicine. These risks include, but may not be limited to:
- Delays in medical evaluation and treatment could occur due to deficiencies or failures of the equipment.
- If this happens, you may be contacted by phone or other means of communication.
- In rare cases, a lack of access to your complete medical records may result in adverse drug interactions or allergic reactions or other judgment errors.
- In very rare instances, security protocols could fail, causing a breach of privacy of personal medical information.
- Please do not drive or operate heavy machinery during your telemedicine visit, and avoid being in a moving vehicle during an encounter (even as a passenger).
- Find a quiet, private, well-lit area to sit when you talk to your doctor. Your privacy is important to us!
- For best video quality, use a wired or Wi-Fi connection.
Request an Orthopaedic TeleMedicine Visit
Please note: Not all visit types can be conducted via telemedicine
- Visit our Telemedicine Request page
- Contact us at 352-273-7001
Once a telemedicine visit has been scheduled, patients use the free MyUFHealth myChart website/app in conjunction with the free Zoom mobile app to communicate with their healthcare provider.